The Story Behind the Hound
The Holy Hound Taproom is the result of travel, a love of adventure…and a taste for good beer. Countless visits to many bars across the country sparked ideas of how the Holy Hound Taproom would take shape. A long, red oak bar frames our taps while comfortable stools welcome our guests. Rehabbed pews from a Hanover church line our walls for communal seating. Eclectic artwork graces the walls and reflects our travels, our musical tastes, and our beers of choice. As for the name?…two beloved Vizslas, Victor and Eva, can take credit for that piece of our story.
Our Historic Location
Known over the years as the White Hall Hotel, the National Hotel, and Jack’s Department Store – the National House is one of York’s most recognizable landmarks. The building was constructed in 1828 as the White Hall Hotel, and played host to guests such as former President Martin Van Buren (1839) and famed British author Charles Dickens (1842). Sometime before the Civil War, the hotel was renamed The National House as it is known today. In 1921, the lower level of the building became Jack’s – a women’s department store that is still sorely missed by many longtime Yorkers.
By the time we found the space, it had lost much of its charm, yet it still felt alive with possibilities and good vibes. With it’s high, coffered ceilings, and the walls of windows looking out over Beaver and Market Streets, it didn’t take long for us to decide that the National House was the perfect place to open the taproom.